Forum home Plants

Seedling identification - Aquilegia and Dianthus

Hello
I have mixed up my seedlings:
Aquilegia Vulgaris 'Hensol Harebell'
And Dianthus carthusianorum
Which is which please?
Also seedlings #1 have very fragile stems. I’m worried I’ll kill them when I transplant them. Any advice on planting on appreciated! Thanks so much! 😀

• BiljeBilje Posts: 792
    To the best of my knowledge 1 is Aquilegia 2 is Dianthus" When I'm potting on seedlings which are a bit wobbly I plant then a bit deeper i.e. Up to their armpits, plenty of light will help too. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    The first ones don’t look like Aquilegia, I have similar in my mixed wild flower seeds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Agree with @lynn   The first ones look very similar to some tiny Poppies that we have.  
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 657
    I agree, I don't recognise  no 1 as Aquilegia.  Dianthus c. looks right for 2, I have grown these from seed.
    East Anglia
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    They are well spaced, so will be fine in their trays/modules for a while yet. They will get stronger and be easier to handle, but don't leave till so big that their roots mingle, as it makes things harder.
    When you do come to lift them, prepare their pots first and then use a plant label, a pointy teaspoon handle, or, if you are serious about growing from seed again, a widger, to gently loosen the soil around each seedling and then lift it, by holding a leaf. Place it in its pot and gently firm in. Job done.
    Put them somewhere out of the sun for a day or two so they can adjust and keep them watered.