Forum home The potting shed

Ground Cover Roses

I have been trying to find something for ground cover under a silver birch and wondered if ground cover roses could be a viable option but not sure they would like the shade. Has anyone used these roses previously?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,978
    I've got 'Max Graf' on a steep, partially shaded bank and it seems perfectly happy. I've never pruned it, the bank slopes at about 75 degrees, so I can't even stand up, but it is covered in flowers every summer.
    Haven't tried any others, but can't see why they wouldn't succeed. Birches don't give heavy shade and you could plant them away from the tree and train them inwards. They aren't evergreen though.
  • coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 194
    Hello, I would like to plant some ground cover roses too. The soil is light clay (other roses do well) but I fear that the place where I want them to go is too dry. Would they withstand dry soil and semi shade? 
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,565
    Some recommendations for ground cover roses for shade here:
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/collections/ground-cover-roses?_=pf&pf_t_key_features=filter_feature%3A%20Shade%20Tolerant

and a couple here, Max Graf gets a mention here too:

https://www.trevorwhiteroses.co.uk/product-category/ground-cover-roses/?swoof=1&pa_situation=shade-tolerant&really_curr_tax=19-product_cat

Two issues, first you will need to find a reasonably deep planting hole away from the trunk, in between the main spreading roots of the tree, so a bit of careful excavation/investigation will be required. Secondly, you will need to water and feed regularly, as the rose, however tough, will be in competition with the tree and will need extra tlc in the first few years until they are established and gotten their roots down deep. I suspect there are easier plant options but it would look lovely if it works!