Forum home Garden design

Solar lights

markie6657markie6657 Alvechurch, WorcestershirePosts: 36
First of all apologies if this has been entered in the wrong category. I'd like to ask about solar lights and has anyone found any that are good value for money and more importantly work! I've tried various lights and whilst I appreciate we don't enjoy hours of unbroken sunshine I've been rather disappointed with those I have bought.Thank you

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,592
    edited May 2020
    I'll be interested to see the response to this too. Bought a couple of solar lights which were rubbish and only lasted a season. They were really cheap ones though (just to see if I actually liked lighting in the garden) and I'd now be prepared to invest good money in some decent lights.

I'd particularly like some to string through one or two shrubs or trees like fairy lights and a couple of tree uplighters.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,528
    I have had lots of solar lights - some gifts and some Garden Centre bargains and to be honest I would rather invest in proper electrical lighting in the garden. Over many years I have never failed to be disappointed by the lack of light from mine. Some filled with rain water, some solar panels failed and the irregularities of the sun in my part of the country meant months with nothing happening at all. At the moment I am as well going out and dancing around in the garden to trigger my security lighting. Either that or shoving Lily, my cat, out through her cat flap so that she can trigger it.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    I find them absolutely rubbish.
    I'd rather have a proper outdoor socket  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• markie6657markie6657 Alvechurch, WorcestershirePosts: 36
    I think that says it all, no more solar lights for me, thank you for your feedback
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    I've had these solar spotlights to light up our mature apple tree for the last two years and have been very impressive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074PR9SDR/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_apap_Iqjh4dnIPGw2M 
    We have now installed mains lighting around the garden and they are nearly as bright as the mains powered ones. The important part is the large battery so they can keep going into the night. Not the cheapest but definitely very good. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • februarysgirlfebruarysgirl LeicesterPosts: 607
    I bought some last year and finally put them out a few days ago only to find that they have a barely there, bright orange glow. Not impressed. Still, I'm not completely deterred. I've ordered some that are well reviewed over different sites from a website that currently has a lot of cut prices. You're never going to get a lot of light from solar, but I want them for the overall look of the garden, not so much for their night time output. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,021
    I have solar lanterns that hang from those shepherd's crook type things, so that l can move them around as the fancy takes me. I have 2 from Wilkos that are over 8 years old, and even light up in the depths of winter, albeit not for very long. 
    As Ladybird says, the main problem is water getting into them. Fortunately l have an OH who seems able to generally sort them out. Generally they last a good 5 years, or maybe l've just been lucky. 
    l also agree with februarysgirl, in that l have them more for the look for a few hours while we sit out in the (hopefully) warm summer evenings, or looking at the garden at dusk.
    If you can afford to have mains powered lighting then that's fine, but solar does for me. My only caveat is that ironically they're not very environmentally friendly when it comes to disposing of them.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,978
    edited March 2021
    I bought some solar spotlights from Amazon, about £25 for a two light kit and £15 for a single light. They work quite well but you only get a couple of hours out of them unless it's been really sunny. They last about twenty minutes in winter lol. They were actually too bright for me, I put white plastic behind the front glass to make a softer dimmer light.
  • TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 128
    I bought these from Amazon in 2015 and they are all still working 

PowerBee® Ltd Saturn Solar Garden Lights for all year round, Ideal for Pathways/Lawns, Parties & More. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TXSGQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_HKHFDCAJ17D0Y6F0QYRT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    @mariahardy759 - just pay for your adverts and stop spamming. We're bored with you now...
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....