Forum home Plants

Hydrangeas not doing to well.

ThebigeasyThebigeasy Posts: 190
Both planted in corner beds which are north facing but as garden is so open they get sun most of the day, also both planted at same time and both have problems showing. Any ideas? 

• ThebigeasyThebigeasy Posts: 190
    Bump
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 758
    Water them thoroughly, so they get water to roots at depth, and give them some specific hydrangea feed. Maybe also try to mulch around to stop them drying in the sun. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    Did you buy them recently? They're showing signs of sun/weather damage. If you've had a frost recently, it can brown new foliage, especially if the plant's then exposed to sun.
    Many of them are forced into flower early and sold around March/April for the Easter market. 
    They then get planted out into the big world and they struggle.
    The fact that it's flowering now suggests that too, unless you're not in the UK?

If that's the case, it's just weather. It'll recover. They're extremely tough. Make sure it has proper watering - not a dribble now and again   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Bought them about a month ago, weather has been pretty good in the west of Scotland other than one cold snap the other night its been mild, well for me any way.

Is there a specific hydrangea food to get? 
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,657
    As usual @Fairygirl is spot on. My macrophylla got some frost damage about a month ago and has grown and all the damaged leaves are now hidden. I wouldn't worry too much about a specific food for hydrangeas any good organic based fertiliser will do. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    edited May 2020
    I never feed mine anything - other than a bit of B,F&B in spring. If I even remember  :)
    We've had about half a dozen frosts over the last ten days or so - any damage will just drop and new stuff will grow.
    Grow them hard - too much feeding creates soft growth, and that leads to problems.

Sorry @amancalledgeorge - I was half way through writing that and my internet went. Common occurrence , especially with this site nowadays. We're singing from the same hymbook  ;)

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,657
    The wet winter has really helped my hydrangeas...looking forward to updating my profile picture with this year's bloom 😂  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    So just plenty of water and keep an eye on it. 
    So just plenty of water and keep an eye on it. 
    Pretty much  :)
    If the ground's suitable, they'll come away and be fine. 

Thanks.