Forum home Plants

Wildflower Identification - please help!

faye_625faye_625 Posts: 1
Hi all,

Does anyone recognise the wildflower on the attached photo? I saw it on a walk today and can’t for the life of me find it in any books or online, it’s driving me mad!

Each individual plant was only approx 4 inches tall and they were together in a contained cluster.

Any help appreciated!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,817
    It’s Bugle, the native wild form of Ajuga reptans ... often seen in gardens with dark or variegated leaves. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    Loved by bees etc too  :)
    Useful groundcover for all conditions.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Samridout92Samridout92 Posts: 95
    I love Ajuga Reptans and have 3 lovely varieties in my shaded border area. 

Can you buy the Bugle variety? Looks nice :)? Or is it problematic in gardens 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,297
    It is a thug. Seeds everywhere, especially into a lawn and it is a pig to get rid of.
  • Samridout92Samridout92 Posts: 95
    Palustris said:
    It is a thug. Seeds everywhere, especially into a lawn and it is a pig to get rid of.
    Noted ahaha! Won’t pursue that then!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,817
    Palustris said:
    Noted ahaha! Won’t pursue that then!
    @Palustris 🤔 are you sure you’re not thinking of Selfheal - Prunella vulgaris?  That’s a common problem in lawns for those who prefer grass 😉 

https://www.gardenseeker.com/lawn-care/weeds/self-heal/

I must say I’ve been growing Ajuga for 55 + years and I’ve never noticed it set seed, let alone invade a lawn. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,531
    It grows wild in my garden and has spread quite a bit, but only in one part, a wet, marshy valley that is too boggy to walk in. It looks lovely flowering with the Kingcups and then the  red campion.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,297
    Both it and Prunella spread like wild fire over our last garden. I assume that it seeded as it got everywhere.