Forum home Plants

ID please

owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
edited May 2020 in Plants
lightly fragrant
Just another day at the plant...

• owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
    thanks @SlipperyElm, it's not what I would call very fragrant, more a light scent that I have to be right on top of it to detect, but then possibly my sense of smell might be suspect.
    Turning out to be a tricky one to ID it seems. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    It does look similar to Hesperis matronalis bug I’m not 100% convinced ... if I could come and see it I’d tell you ... the scent isn’t much until it begins to get dark on a warm summer evening after a sunny day .,. then it wafts across the garden in waves ... you’ll not believe that such an ordinary flower can smell so wonderful. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited May 2020

These are some of ours. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

thanks @Dovefromabove, yours do look very similar
    I'm intrigued now though... in fact you've just earned these 2 a stay of execution.
    It does look extremely ordinary, but I'll await the olfactory experience first whilst trying to decide where to replant them.
    Thanks. Good to know.
    I'm not one to cull things at a whim, quite the opposite really, i'll always try to find a spot for anything that graces me with growth. I was gifted 2 small divisions of this by a friend last year who may have said what they were, I don't remember. 
    Having tended them carefully in pots in a cold frame overwinter and planted them out in my testing bed, I was expecting them to be spectacular when they flowered...
    Bit of a disappointment that was though, as they are very 'ordinary' as Dove says, making a very good impression of weeds IMO.
    However, I am sure you guys are correct and they will redeem themselves with a magnificent intoxicating perfume...
    cheers both

edited May 2020
    Just slot them into a mixed cottage garden style border ... they’ll look after themselves year after year ... won’t become rampant ... you’ll hardly notice them most of the time ... and then that special evening will come and you’ll be walking around the garden and have no idea where that glorious perfume has come from because you’ve forgotten that quiet little plant in the corner. Love it. 😍

They're also great for night-flying pollinators. 

• Sweet Rocket. My front garden is gloriously full of them this year. The scent is strongest in the evening.