Forum home Plants

Heucheras

SafflowerSafflower Bromley, KentPosts: 62
Hi I just bought a "selection" of plants from a plant rescue site and I have 6 heucheras (3 Palace Purple and 3 Coral Forest) that I don't know what to do with. I've never grown them before. Need some tips please! I have a shady area I can plant them in next to my house. I also have a full-sun border I can pop them into. I am guessing they don't get very tall? Tell me about Heucheras! :smile:

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    Shady spot,and dampish soil. They'll take some sun as long as they're in quite moist soil.
    That's about all you need to know. Very easy plants   :)
    Easy to propagate from too, but watch out for vine weevil with them, especially if they're in pots. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SafflowerSafflower Bromley, KentPosts: 62
    edited May 2020
    Glad I asked! The labels on the plants make it sound like they don't mind full-sun. Good to know they are good plants. Quite excited now! :smiley:
  • PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 89
    The flowers are a magnet for hover flies and bees which is a great bonus as most folk get these plants just for the foliage. I’ve found they can do fine a dry areas as well so long as not in full sun. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,984
    I have mine in sun and dry and they seem to be fine.
    edited May 2020
    @februarysgirl Your heucheras are so pretty! :smile:
    I might move one of the purple ones from the shade to the sun to see if it thrives or not. I can always move it back if not.
    @Treeface I got these from plantsavers.co.uk but you can't choose your plants, you just choose a certain amount of plants. I received these 6 heucheras, 3 geum, 3 veronica, and 3 shasta daisies plus a bag of compost for £35. It took 3 weeks for delivery because of Coronavirus. You might have more luck now that the GC's are opening up. I do like the idea of rescuing plants that would have gone to waste though!
    I've just tried plant pack too - another rescue site. But haven't received my plants yet so can't comment on plants or delivery time.
    This is what I got from plant savers. They only serve greater London and south east I think...you have to check their website for delivery area.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    In an attempt to even up the flower to veg ratio I have been buying two new flowers each year from Hampton (not this year  :( ) and the Heuchera chappie was brilliant. Mine are in full sun in an arid area and in pots either side of the door nearby. They have been wonderful, I'm nearly a Heuchera fan!

They are the only plants to have survived in those pots for more than three years Hooray!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • JessumJessum Posts: 81
    I have palace purple, chocolate ruffles and marmalade in my window boxes at the front.  I had no bedding plants and the garden centres had not opened so I decided to make use of what I had.  Luckily I took some cuttings last year and they came in very handy.  My palace purple came from a plant that I had years ago and the chocolate ruffles was a cutting that a neighbour gave me. They are easy to take cuttings from, just look at the interweb for vidoes.
  • JessumJessum Posts: 81
    Sorry! Videos!!!!