Forum home Plants

Low growing plant for between flagstones.

UsFourUsFour Posts: 49
I have an area of Yorks stone flagstones and the area between them always fills up with weeds. I need something to plant that will not grow over the flags but will have some resilience to keep weeds at bay. Anybody have experience of this?
UsFour 

The older you get, the more you realise that it is OK to live a life others don't understand.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Creeping thyme is often used for this if the area is in full sun and the flags aren't set in naturally damp ground.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Moss? :)
    I can't think of anything that will not to some extent spill over onto your flags.
    Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) is often used and I have dwarf Greek oregano popping up in all sorts of cracks in my garden. Both will take a certain amount of foot traffic, and both smell nice too.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • UsFourUsFour Posts: 49
    Thanks Bob ... it is in full sun all the time .. but not had much of a success with thyme .. what is the botanical name of creeping thyme ??

UsFour 

The older you get, the more you realise that it is OK to live a life others don't understand.
    edited May 2020
    Thank you Pete .. both, I think, will be too tall height wise. 

UsFour 

I have seen Baby Tears plants used Soleirolia soleirolii but need to know if anybody had experience of this and as I live in North of England needs to be hardy. Although having said that my garden is sheltered,
    UsFour 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Creeping thyme is lovey, but it it does spread. Mine gets to 3-4"
    I planted one by my wildlife pond a couple of years ago
    Creeping Thyme Jekka - pink flowers

The chamomile nobile only grows to about 2-3" I used to have it growing between paving stones around my fish pond.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    That looks lovely and I suppose because of it restrictions it shouldn't be invasive. Thanks a lot good suggestions x
    UsFour 

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    It would grow very slowly, but I recommend Scleranthus uniflorus.  We mostly grow it in pots, but it has self-seeded itself beside our flagstones.  It’s actually doing better there, rarely needs watering. 

It’s easy to grow from seed.  Plantworld seeds.com is where I used to get mine from. 

Thanks Keen on Green ... that looks perfect for what I want ... will have a look online .
     Thanks for sharing the info x
    UsFour 

• anniedtanniedt Posts: 85
    I planted Corsican mint last year. Not all of it was successful but the bits that took are really hardy and stand being walked on and having the flagstones cleaned with a high pressure hose.  I am putting some more in this year.  It is very small and does not spill out over the flagstones.