Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberry plants wilted

Last year my original 8 strawberry plants, blessed me with over 100 new plants, which have grown on over winter and all started growing again this year, however, in the last couple of weeks, a handful of them, in tubs, pots and even in my greenhouse have just wilted and even dropped dead, from being really strong plants.

Any tips or clues what has happened?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    edited May 2020
    Check the soil in the pots for vine weevil grubs.  Those pots look a bit small for strawberry plants of that size which also may have some bearing if weevil grubs are not present.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    edited May 2020
    Dry  :)
    They're also hardy, so far better outdoors. If you want some inside for an early crop, they need very regular watering. 
    Those plastic greenhouses get hideously hot during the day. 
    The post are very small for the size of the plants in that pic too .  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    one day of drought will cause that. Your question has been answered - a bigger pot can hold more water and no plastic tent will prevent excess heat and dehydration.
  • nitram78nitram78 Posts: 39
    To be honest, the picture above was just me bringing it in, in the hope that it would recover, but it was just an example, but your comments have been noted about pot size.

I've got other plants outside in big containers, that have done the same thing, so maybe I've got vine weevil grubs too.

I'm guessing the best thing is to destroy these plants in case?