Forum home Plants

Star Jasmine Trachelospermum Jasminoides problems

rossjwhiterossjwhite Posts: 2
Has anyone had the problem of the leaves turning brown, drying up and falling off?

I have this on 4 jasmine now. Three are potted and one is in the ground. I removed one from the pot to check the roots any they were fine. Any ideas?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,387
    Hello @rossjwhite , welcome to the forum.
    Just one or two thoughts, Star Jasmine are evergreen plants but even so they will  naturally shed their old leaves around now, which often turn red during the winter.
    Secondly those pots are far too small. Trachelosperums are vigorous climbers - mine has reached about 3 metres x 3 metres already and will get higher. They are better in the ground and need a lot of water and feeding. Some of them are more tender than others so the one with brown leaves at the top might have got caught by the recent cold overnight frosts.
    Hope this helps, I would plant them in the ground if you can and water them well, at least two watering cans full once a week.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • rossjwhiterossjwhite Posts: 2
    Lizzie27 said:
    Hello @rossjwhite , welcome to the forum.
    Just one or two thoughts, Star Jasmine are evergreen plants but even so they will  naturally shed their old leaves around now, which often turn red during the winter.
    Secondly those pots are far too small. Trachelosperums are vigorous climbers - mine has reached about 3 metres x 3 metres already and will get higher. They are better in the ground and need a lot of water and feeding. Some of them are more tender than others so the one with brown leaves at the top might have got caught by the recent cold overnight frosts.
    Hope this helps, I would plant them in the ground if you can and water them well, at least two watering cans full once a week.
    Hi Lizzie, thanks for your help.I'll plant them in the ground somewhere and see how they get on. I was going the throw the ones in the small pots out, it was just a temporary measure. Thanks
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,686
    I had this exact thing with two recently bought plants (planted last autumn at a large size). No idea what it was, I cut them back to healthy material and they have started to regrow.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • patpow39patpow39 Posts: 2
    I have 2 which I have had for about 15 years, they shed some of their leaves this time of year