Forum home Plants

Dwarf clematis suggestions

PoppypussPoppypuss Posts: 142
I'm thinking of getting a dwarf clematis to grow in a container, and I’ve seen one called Little lemon. Does anyone know if this would be ok in a large pot with other plants ? Thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,735
    Hello Poppypuss. If the container is large enough there shouldn't be a problem as long as the other plants don't swamp it.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • PoppypussPoppypuss Posts: 142
    Thanks Ladybird. I’m just a bit nervous as I’ve got a yellow tangutica and it’s huge, don’t want this to get out of hand. 
    edited May 2020
    I had a look at the plant you mentioned and found Little Lemons. It would appear to be a dwarf tangutica type. I have a huge tangutica too - Lambton Park. If you want you could look at the Bijou collection of patio Clematises. They only grow about 30cm (a foot in old money!) tall.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    edited May 2020
    I can recommend the Boulevard collection from Raymond Evison.  They are sold as patio clematis.  I have a couple in pots that have been going for years and flower well.  One is called Abilene, and the other is forgotten - but still very pretty.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    I'm definitely going to look out for Little Lemon; I've got a bit of a soft spot for extra compact clems!
    I've got a couple of the Evison "Boulevard" varieties - filigree and bijou, both of them were 2yr old garden centre sized plants, bought last year. 
    The bijou is in a 14" hanging basket and is sharing nicely with a heuchera, a small grass and (currently) some primroses (soon to be replaced with some summer annuals), it gets sun all morning but is shaded in the hotter part of the day.

It's literally just started flowering this week! As you might be able to see, it already takes up a fair chunk of real estate and this one trails as well as mounds.
     I would guess it might get a bit crowded by next year in the same setup.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    What a beautiful hanging basket @mikeymustard .....beats the standard offering of petunias and lobelia hands down 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Thanks @chicky, it's not as well structured as some, but I like its informality. I was a bit worried that the Bijou flower colour might clash with the heuchera leaves - being colour blind doesn't help btw!
    Well I’ve just ordered two little lemons for my big patio pots but I’ve now read your post @mikeymustard and want a bijou as well. Love your hanging basket. 
    @Poppypuss - the clematis bug has bitten you! Join the club. You'll end up getting more and more
    Oh dear @Ladybird4 can I cope with another plant bug 🙄. So far this week I’ve already decided that I also can’t have enough salvia, Hosta, heuchera, penstemon... and the list goes on. Working from home is great for the garden!