Forum home Plants

ACER varieties recommendations please...

greenlovegreenlove Posts: 143
I'm looking to expand my acer collection. So far I have Sango Kaku, Orange Dream, Red Emperor, a green Dissectum, a purple Dissectum, Shishigashira, Ukigumo, Koto no ito, Shirasawanum "Aureum" and Tsuma-gaki.

I have seen whilst driving quite a few acer trees that have a lovely peach colour and some that have creamy white leaves. These are fully opened leaves and not just young shoots. Anyone know what these varieties are please?

• greenlovegreenlove Posts: 143
    Not many acer lovers here I assume...
  • UsFourUsFour West Yorkshire Pennines.Posts: 15
    Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'  .... I have one in my very small garden. It's easy to prune into lovely shapes and has good spring summer colour and fantastic autumn colour.
    UsFour
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 720
    Never had it myself, but I've often heard that Osakazuki has some of the best Autumn colour.  Bloodgood is wonderful, one of the faster growing varieties.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,028
    I loathe those pasty, peachy ones. They always look ill. 
    I have Orangeola. Dark just now, becoming green in summer then orange in autumn. It's a new one to me. Very pleased with it. 
    The dark ones are nearly all lovely @KeenOnGreen - especially the dissectums. Garnet is nice too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TreefaceTreeface Posts: 200
    @greenlove Missed this post! How about an acer palmatum 'katsura'?
    edited 22 May
    @UsFour I have a Red Emperor which is pretty much identical to the Bloodgood. I have looked at Skeeters Broom and Ben Maiko which seem to have a more fiery red but have to see them in person to make a decision.

@KeenOnGreen I believe that is the case so will look at the Osakazuki. Might end up getting that one instead.

@Fairygirl that Orangeola looks very interesting indeed. Another one for the want list.

@Treeface I have seen a Katsura in person and feel that it is very similar to the Orange Dream and Sango Kaku. I have both the latter ones and my garden is only 12m x 7m so I'm trying to get varieties that are quite different from each other.

@Silver surfer  the Flamingo is not the one although I have been eyeing it for a while and may end up getting one.

The one I refer to is the one in this picture which I managed to get today. It may be a maple rather than an acer?

On another note I noticed today that the large-ish Sango Kaku that I have in the back garden has suffered some scorching on the top branches. The back garden is South facing and the fence that the acer is against is West facing. The neighbour has a large sycamore tree about 10 m away which means that the acer does not get direct sun until about 12pm. The back garden is quite windy because it backs into farmer's fields but there has been no wind during the past 4 weeks so I assume the cause of scorching is the strong sunshine we have been getting over the past 2-3 weeks. I have noticed that the young leaves of another tree nearby I have have been scorched the same and some of the hosta leaves have turned transparent like jelly. Again the culprit must be too much sunshine.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 260
    I can’t recommend a specific variety but there is a group of cultivars called the Ghost series which are very pale. 

This nursery has them https://www.hippopotteringmaples.co.uk/the-ghost-series-35-c.asp

Brilliantissimum has pale leaves which then eventually mature to green but it’s a sycamore type. Acer pseudoplatanus, 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,060
    edited 22 May
    Maple is just the common name for  Acers!

Acer pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum is a tree that for one week of the year looks amazing. Make sure you give it the space it needs.
    Very sadly the rest of the year it is completely boring.
    Unlike Acer palmatum it has no stunning colour in the autumn.

Butterfly is correct  Brilliantissimum is a fancy Sycamore.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Ah right. It looks like Brilliantissimum is the one I have been looking at. I thought the colour lasted for a few months but I was mistaken. And if it requires plenty of space and if it is a fancy sycamore then I'm staying away from it.