Forum home Problem solving

What's eating my Acer?

We have noticed a few leaves (fairly high up) on our Acer have been eaten (see pic) - we have dug around the base of the tree in the mulch and soil as well as underneath the affected leaves and can't see any obvious signs of any grubs/insects - in particular looking for vine weevils/larvae. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? There isn't a lot of damage but we want to avoid any further damage.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Looks like adult vine weevil damage to me.  You'll need to go out after dark with a torch to catch them as they are nocturnal feeders.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 237
    edited May 2020
    Vine Weevil...or a bored child with scissors and impressive cutting skill. 

I found the latter making holes in my hydrangeas. They're not nocturnal.
    I'm sorry, but are are indeed nocturnal but that doesn't mean you can't sometimes find them during the day of course:
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 237
    @BobTheGardener

I was talking about kids  :D
    Greenbird said:
    @BobTheGardener

I was talking about kids  :D
    LOL, wish they were sometimes! :D

• gtcstvrgtcstvr Posts: 16
    Looks like adult vine weevil damage to me.  You'll need to go out after dark with a torch to catch them as they are nocturnal feeders.
    Assuming it is that, any suggestions on treatment? It is also normal for such a small amount of damage? There are only a handful of leaves (currently) affected 
    There may only be one beetle at the moment and as your tree is in the ground it should be fine as there are natural predators (nematodes) in most soils which keep numbers of the most damaging part of their lifecycle, the root-eating larvae, down.  That's not the case for pots though so you could view this as an early warning sign and order some vine weevil nematodes online as insurance.  Those are simply mixed with water and watered onto pots and areas of ground where the affected plants are growing and when the temperatures are right.  If only a few leaves are damaged and it doesn't get steadily worse, you could just ignore it as part of nature at work.
  • gtcstvrgtcstvr Posts: 16
    There may only be one beetle at the moment and as your tree is in the ground it should be fine as there are natural predators (nematodes) in most soils which keep numbers of the most damaging part of their lifecycle, the root-eating larvae, down.  That's not the case for pots though so you could view this as an early warning sign and order some vine weevil nematodes online as insurance.  Those are simply mixed with water and watered onto pots and areas of ground where the affected plants are growing and when the temperatures are right.  If only a few leaves are damaged and it doesn't get steadily worse, you could just ignore it as part of nature at work.
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated 👍🏻