Forum home Wildlife gardening

Starlings

I feed the birds regularly. I have umpteen feeders. In trying to put out suet pellets in a spring loaded feeder from homage wasn't cheap. But oh no they can still get the pellets. I think I've got about 8 starlings. The little birds don't get a look in at all. Anyone else having same problem. How can I get shut of them. I know they need to eat but not everything.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,450
    Ah - the starlings..... :D
    They are a messy bunch aren't they? I have feeders in purpose built cages so that the wee birds get plenty. They can't get into them.
    I have a 'sacrificial' suet ball feeder under the conifer which the starlings use. It's in an out of the way spot, and they happily use that en route to other places, leaving all the mess nicely hidden  ;)
    Perhaps you could do something similar, out of the way a bit more to distract them?  It works well for me, although I haven't filled it since they finished it a week or two ago. I usually don't feed suet now until autumn, although it's in the seed mix.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• oooftoooft Posts: 191
    Like fairy I also made a feeding station for the wee birds. Used an old plastic greenhouse, attached the shelves on the front and back and underneath, chicken wire at sides. The wee ones flit in and out and the big ones have  to wait for what they drop

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,562
    Cut back on the suet if you want to reduce the visits from unwanted larger birds. Fat balls and suet pellets are a magnet for starlings and jackdaws here. I put out a few suet pellets in the morning and evening and once those are gone the small birds can get back to eating the rest. I think a lot of people over feed with suet when it's only really needed in the coldest times of the year.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    That's what my cages are made of @oooft- the shelves from those useless plastic greenhouses!
    I do the same @wild edges- once they finish the suet that's there, I don't use it again till autumn.
    I also feed very little of the mix with the suet - it's a half handful once a day usually, as it's really just Peg Leg Pete, the pigeon [my new bestie] who eats it. It's a mix I bought before the lockdown - simply because I didn't want to buy a huge bag at the time, and it has the suet pellets in it. I don't usually buy them at all. 
    The starlings have been a bit absent until a few days ago, as they've been busy with their nests and offspring. They were seriously peed off that there was nothing for them to eat....

• zakzakzakzak Posts: 92
    Could you post me a pic please.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I have a cage feeding Station that only let's smaller birds in. It hangs on the fence and has been excellent for stopping all the big guys from eating all the food. I bought it about 10 yrs ago, I've never seen one since. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,695
    Our starlings have all left for the summer months,thankfully
    Devon.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,987
    Yes, they're down here!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,695
    Yes, they're down here!!
    I thought they went to Lithuania for the summer?
    Devon.
    These are from last year. They've had a coat of paint since then, and  the right hand one
    has a new door