Forum home The potting shed

Garden Centre opening

KT53KT53 Posts: 4,062
Just wondering is anybody has been brave/daft enough to visit a garden centre in England or Wales since they reopened.  If so what was the experience like?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,169
    Thinking of going at 5pm. They close at 6. I'll let  you know.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • jonathanmichell23jonathanmichell23 Basildon, EssexPosts: 51
    Just got off the phone to my mum and dad, who went to their local garden centre this morning. It's only a few mins walk from their house, so not an epic trek.

They said it was busier than they've ever seen it in normal times, but well managed and socially distanced by the staff. Fairly well stocked, but stuff like bedding wasn't as far along as they would have expected.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,062
    There was 3 car crash within 40 minutes of opening at a GC about 15 miles from me.  I suspect impatience either from somebody trying to turn right or somebody trying to get past the queues and wanting to go straight on.  Pure speculation on my part.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,310
    My local nursery is allowing visitors by booked time slot, you can't just turn up. This is a great idea and I wish more places would do that sort of thing.
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,516
    I think I'll wait two or three weeks for things to settle down and systems to be tweaked if necessary.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,045
    I was thinking the same thing (although I don't know whether our local one is open yet. I'm on their mailing list so I'd expect an email when they're reopening). First week in June  for some hanging basket plants would be good. Hopefully it'll be warm enough to put them out by then.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,062
    B3, that's my plan too.  I have an order for home delivery with a local Nursery.  Hopefully they will continue with that.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 177
    I’m going to either go an hour before they close or in a few weeks time. 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 272
    I have a gift voucher for my local garden centre burning a hole in my pocket, but I agree with B3 and others that I'll probably wait until things have settled down a bit and the first rush has passed.  

I've grown more from seed this year which I ordered online the week before lockdown while I was self isolating and bored!  The one thing I really wanted was a new hydrangea but I've taken a cutting from my existing one which has rooted and is doing well so I might just hope for the best on that! 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 201
    FlyDragon said:
    I have a gift voucher for my local garden centre burning a hole in my pocket, but I agree with B3 and others that I'll probably wait until things have settled down a bit and the first rush has passed.  

I've grown more from seed this year which I ordered online the week before lockdown while I was self isolating and bored!  The one thing I really wanted was a new hydrangea but I've taken a cutting from my existing one which has rooted and is doing well so I might just hope for the best on that! 
    Same here, it's chance to be manic to start with. I'm happy to continue looking after the plants I've been taking care of and if needs be later get the odd plant if I feel I'm missing something.