Forum home Plants

Bay Leaves plant.

dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 201
Since last summer the bay leaves plant is like this. In hope of it will come alive I removed all dead bits last year. As you can see in photo it is green but no bud or no shoot. Do you think I keep it and wait or just give up and remove. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,298
    Have you been watering it?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    You could try cutting it right back to about 12"
    Assuming it's still alive - and it looks quite green, they sprout readily from underground and cutting back the top should force buds to break on the lower stem, but then you'll have a bush and not a standard.
    It may take a while but assuming it's not died of thirst it'll probably shoot up again.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 201
    Yes watering in summer. It started with leaves dried up last spring. I thought it will come alive but nearly year now but nothing happening. Thank you. @pete.8, @B3
    It was like this in July 2019
    It may well be forming a good root system and is putting energy into that before actually growing. I've had fruit trees lay completely dormant for more than a year before bursting into life - give it a few months and if it doesn't dry out I think you've got a good chance.

I planted out some rooted cuttings of my old bay bush. For over a year they were just twigs, but after about 15 months thy're shooting

Billericay - Essex

Give it a bucket of water every couple of days. The weather has been very dry lately
    B3 said:
     The weather has been very dry lately
    About 4 years around here :)

Billericay - Essex

The Billeriacay Dust Bowl?
    Ah! you know it then :)

Billericay - Essex

Pleased to hear that my plant still have hope and chance to survive. I will post as soon as I see some progress. Thanks.  :)