Forum home Problem solving

Are there any "good" weevils

Hi, before I go and order some more nematodes - are the smaller ones in this pic evil vine weevils? I'm sure someone put a link on here saying that some some weevils are "good" but can't fine it now. I know what the large ones are. I'm lifting the front turf which, not surprisingly, doesn't do very well. These were within the roots and only from a piece 1' x 6'. I now have very full robins and blackbirds! I'm not relaying turf but want to put the nematodes down under the weed suppressant if these are nasties. :-)

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I don't know about good ones, but with different sizes, at least you can target the lesser of two weevils.  (Sorry - couldn't resist it.)
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,366
    A good weevil is a dead weevil👺
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I thought Weevil Knievel was good.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,040
    Those look like beetle grubs rather than weevil larvae. Chafer grubs maybe. They munch grass roots and do a bit of temporary damage to lawns but the beetles are amazing creatures and essential parts of the ecosystem. I like the beetles more than perfect grass personally.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Those look like chafer grubs which explains why your lawn wasn't doing well:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Sue & MuttonSue & Mutton Posts: 110
    Josusa47, B3 and Gemma JF .....groan, those jokes are appalling🤦‍♀️... but they made me laugh! Ah, yes,  they do look like chafer grubs. I found an elephant hawk moth pupa in there too - I only know what is is because a clever soul on here last year told me. I wasn't sure whether to bury him again in the back garden (as he was found an inch down) or, as I've just seen on a website to keep him on the surface. I don't want him to get smothered but then don't want him to dry out or get eaten. Any ideas please.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,040
    This girl on youtube hatches some out every year with success. There might be some good tips on there.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • Sue & MuttonSue & Mutton Posts: 110
    Excellent, many thanks .....err I'll go and unearth him