Forum home Problem solving

Tomato and strawberry leaves problems. Please help

• eeceeteeceet Posts: 13
    Pete.8 said:
    What soil did you use for the tomatoes?
    Wickes general purpose soil for most of them but that wasn't enough and Wickes didn't have more in stock so I've got 10 bags from Lidl. They were really cheap peat free. Found loads of twigs and plastic bits in it but I had to use it as I had no othee alternative.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,007
    Bagged compost should have enough nutrients for the tomatoes, until they start to set fruit. Then tomato food (tomorite or alternative - I usually have whatever cheapo one I can get hold of and it's fine).
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,327
    Both of those composts do have added nutrients that will last around 6 weeks, so no need to feed your tomatoes with anything until you see the first fruits forming.
    You need strong sturdy plants able to take the weight of lots of tomatoes - feeding too much will make them weedy and be unable to bear the weight. So no feeding for now.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    Both of those composts do have added nutrients that will last around 6 weeks, so no need to feed your tomatoes with anything until you see the first fruits forming.
    You need strong sturdy plants able to take the weight of lots of tomatoes - feeding too much will make them weedy and be unable to bear the weight. So no feeding for now.
    If you're ever worried about nutrients in the soil in the long term, you can always mix in some well-rotted manure, and used coffee grounds are a very good source of Nitrogen too 
    When I used to grow them in pots outside I did just that. 50% MPC and 50% rotted manure or home compost. Always worked a treat.
    I grow in the greenhouse border now and a couple of months back I replaced 10 barrow loads of old soil with 10 barrow loads of my home compost. The plants are looking very happy - albeit a bit cold..
    I also use approx. half-and-half bought MPC and compost from my bins - the first time was because I didn't have enough MPC and had no car available to fetch more that day. They did well so I've done the same every year since.
  • eeceeteeceet Posts: 13
    Thank you for all the advice! You are all super helpful and I appreciate it. Any advice on what's causing the browning and drying of the edges of the leaves? Also, I went to take the plants outside this morning and I noticed that mushrooms (?) are growing from the soil in many pots, what to do with them? Is it normal? Please see pictures
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    I think you're worrying about very little  :)
    Strawberries just need an occasional feed of anything in pots - a tomato food or the thing you have is fine. Leaves die off regularly. Nothing to worry about - just take them off. 
    Are the tomatoes outside? Some compost is a bit rubbish, but you don't need to worry too much about that either with toms at this stage. I hope you're not chucking loads of feed at them just now though....
    You might also be over watering them, and the little bits of fungi are just stuff in the compost, also evidence of rather soggy conditions. It's very hard to see from the photos - there's a lot of close ups.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Little toadstools - normal, seems particularly common with woodchip/bark-based compost. Just pick them off. Leaf tips browning - could just be from brushing against them when moving them in and out.
    I agree with all the above - nothing of concern.
    Not sure where you are but it's way too chilly here to put tomatoes outside at the moment even during the day.