Forum home Fruit & veg

Leggy spinach?

Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 181
Hi all,

We've had a good crop from our spinach plants so far this year which were grown from seed but it seems in the last week or so they've been getting a bit leggy.

Any ideas why this may be?

Thanks in advance!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,425
    Are they from last year? They look as if they’re bolting. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 293
    I agree with Dove from above it looks like they have bolted,sowed perpetual spinach last October and I am still picking mine some of it has begun to bolt but I keep cutting it and remove the seed head and its perfectly alright in stir fries and salads also steamed.Its the same with chard it keeps coming the more you cut it the more it comes again.I have found that perpetual spinach and chard do a lot better and less likely to bolt than the summer spinach,because the weather isn't as hot and dry and less watering you have to do. Regards Peter
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 181
    Hi both,

They are indeed from last year - I planted them around September I think and they didn't really do a lot until recently.

Is there anything I can do to get them going again?

Thanks!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,425
    edited May 2020
    They’re biennials and die after they’ve flowered and set seed. 

I’ve just sown a new row of Swiss Chard (see pic above ... similar but hardier than normal spinach  and with better flavour than perpetual spinach) and will sow some more in a couple of weeks. 

We’ll be picking that in the autumn, then put a cloche over and pick through the winter, and again through the spring until they flower. 

The trick is to get the watering right, not soggy but never let them dry out or they’ll bolt straight away

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 181
    Ah, so time for some new seeds in that case. Seems that I've over-watered them then or maybe a combination of watering and the heavy downpours we've had.

I'll check the drainage of the growbags I have as well.

Thanks for the help!