Forum home Problem solving

Hiding an inspection hatch

Hi All,

I feel like I live on this forum at the minute 😂

I have an order of plum slate chippings being delivered in the next few days and have been prepping the area in readiness to lay the weed membrane and the chippings. Whilst doing so I have discovered a second drain inspection hatch which is approx 3 metres off the one we knew was there!!!. The previous owner had it covered by a plastic sheet with pebbles on top which made them shift underfoot. From what I can see it only connects to the second toilet and then runs into the other inspection hatch.

I've attached pics, how would everyone cover the hatch before laying the chippings to allow easy access and prevent it shifting under foot. should I stick with what was there? 🙈🤯

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    I wouldn't worry about it, just leave the plastic or new membrane over it and cover it with your slate chippings, at a good depth, they don't shift as much as pebbles/graving as they are flatter. What I would do though is to put some kind of marker (dab of paint on the little wall perhaps or make a plan of where they are and pin it up in the shed so that you or subsequent owners will know they are. I speak from bitter experience, when having moved into a old house, I came home from work one day to find the back yard covered with a sewage flood and no idea where the inspection chambers were! Turned out the previous occupant had concreted over the lot.
  • CumbriManCumbriMan Posts: 67
    @Lizzie27 that's good advice. No plans to move any time soon but life has many twists and turns so having something marked and planned out in advance would be sensible 👍
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,310
    edited 12 May
    I have a small sheet of geo textile over a manhole cover with about an inch of slate chippings, they pretty much stay put. The surface surrounding it is concrete (now covered with the slate). To be honest slate chippings wouldn't be my first choice visually but they cover hard surfaces very well without sliding around. 

Good idea re the marker. Also cut a square around the cover, and place a larger square of membrane over the top - you can buy it in bright 'hazard warning' colours which would be helpful. Then you won't have to lift all of it up just to access the cover. 
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,007
    You could use a recessed manhole cover which you can insert the pavers / paving slabs in. It blends in, is the same level as the rest of the area and not hidden away under chippings should you need to access it.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,310
    That's a well done recessed cover. None of the contractors I work with would think to make the joints run seamlessly like that
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,007
    I have one on my patio. It was here before we got here but whoever laid it also did a good job by following the pattern through the cover. 
    Quick update. Followed advice from @Lizzie27 and @WillDB and pleased with the result. Can't tell there's anything underfoot or visually.

I will look into a recessed cover to fill with slate for the far 'active' drain cover though as that was too high too hide by this means as it's flush with the slabs.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    edited 23 May
    @CumbriMan - that's looking good! The different material also adds visual interest to the area.
    Thanks @Lizzie27 really happy with the slate. These are the other areas I've added it 😊