Forum home Plants

Alliums not flowered - next move?

Ann85Ann85 Posts: 64
Unfortunately some of our potted alliums (new bulbs) have grown leaves which are now turning brown as they do but no bud developed. I think maybe they were too close together as other potted ones nearby are flowering well? It’s a sunny spot and we watered when it was dry earlier in year. Should we leave them alone? Separate them? Put bulbs in garden for next year (if yes, when best time to move them - guess when foliage dies back?) or will they not do anything ever now? Thanks for any help. I generally don’t chuck or move any bulbs but want them to be happy / flower (next year) and can use pot for something else too? Thanks for any help, Anna 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I would put them in the ground now, I just move anything wherever and whenever I fancy.
    Dig a hole about 6 - 8” deep, and if you’ve got any grit you can put that in the planting hole first. Plant about 12” apart.
    I’ve had quite a few that haven’t flowered in the  first year but lovely the next. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire Posts: 19,000
    They could probably use a good feeding now for next year too.
  • Ann85Ann85 Posts: 64
    Thanks so much. Yes I’ll do that this week then and take a photo of where I put them which is what I try to do with bulbs for when they die back.