Forum home Problem solving

Ants, ants and more ants

Our entire long drive seems to be one huge ant nest, piles of dust between the flags; they are under every flag in the patio in the garden, they move into my potted trees and vegetables. They farm any aphids on the trees Everywhere I dig in the garden I find nests. I used nematodes to move them away from the house door. I've tried diatomaceous earth, ant killers of various sorts in areas where my dog doesn't go and numerous things I've read online like washing soda. When they swarm our entire front door and the wall around has been black with them. Help! Does ANYTHING work? I really, really hate ants. They are  the only creature n the garden that I can't stand. We can't even sit on the lawn and if I pick flowers they have to be left outside until the ants all drop off. They are even in the dandelions I have nightmares about them getting into the house. In fact we had some in the bathroom last week. I had to put ant killer round the skirting board.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I don't mind ants in the garden at all, useful things. 

Though I did have major problems in the house when I moved here. Not nice when they swarm in the hall.

I totally got rid of them in and around the house with Nippon Ant Killer powder. It is very effective because the ants take it back to the queen, killing the whole colony. It can be dusted into all the cracks and anywhere you see them mining away at the house.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,879
    I know Monty says they dont do any harm, but I find if they nest under a plant or shrub it dies, the b****** have killed several of my plants this year, they seem to be in every pot, soaking hasnt helped, nor has any ant spray, power.  I am actually allergic to their sting/bit,e probably another reason I hate them haha
  • norderhovenorderhove Posts: 33
    Yes, they definitely do kill potted plants. I lost amagnolia. I thought they didn't like the allium family but here's a nest in my Nectaroscordum siculum
    Hubby called me down to the veggi plot a little while ago, cutting the asparagus, wondered where one of the plants had gone, looked like it had rotted,  dissapeared completely,but we have had no rain for ages, one other ,the stems were white dead looking sticks, he had a little rake around the soil, yup, those pesky ants, is nippon safe to use near foodstuff?
    They havent just killed my potted plants, one of my grasses, didnt look well, (well, it looked dead!), ants nest underneath, and several other plants, I cant remember what tey were, but just an ants nest there
  • norderhovenorderhove Posts: 33
    I would definitely use nematodes around foodstuff, never nippon. Nematodes really do work at moving them but they don't kill them and you can't use them on hard surfaces like my patio. To drench the entire garden I'd need to take out shares in a nematode company.