Forum home Plants

Rhubarb affected by slugs or worse ...?

hi,
was wondering if anyone can shed any light on what might be wrong with my rhubarb, it recently replanted at the start of the year, with current climate i have struggled to get more soil etc.
Does anyone know what might be causing the leaves to have holes and dis-coloured, the stems themselves are also looking bit bit weak. 
I am not sure if it slugs or perhaps something in the soil ? 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I don't think slugs. I would say it is between pesticide and some sort of virus attack, unless someone else can nail it as a specific disease.

Any ideas @Dovefromabove ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    My guess is that it’s succumbed to the very variable weather ... cold, hot, cold, dry, wet, sleet ... you name it, it’s all been chucked at it this year. 

It’ll survive ... don’t pick any this year ... feed the root area with Fish, Blood & Bone, water thoroughly and mulch with something organic. 
    Give it a thorough soaking three times a week from now until the leaves begin to die off in the autumn. 

It looks as if it’s in a pot?  
    It would do much better in the ground ... any chance of that?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks you both for quick response. 
    I have been putting extra slug pelts down, which i will stop doing since it does not look like source of the problem. 

Would you suggest me applying Fish,Blood & Bone + Mulch currently or wait to later in the year, now that the rhubarb is 'gone' for this year crop? 

The pot is a broken rim of a pot, i placed that around it thinking it may slow down the slugs. 
    edited May 2020
    Ah ... I see 👍 

We do get a few slugs and snails nibbling our rhubarb ... but not enough to affect the plant. 

I’d feed and mulch now, and plenty of water, to encourage the plant to grow lots of new leaves which will build up the crown for next year. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• When you refer to mulch, is that like different layers of shredded paper,wood chip, soil, straw etc or is there better science to it.?
    For rhubarb I’d use something like compost (homemade or bought), well rotted farm yard manure or soil conditioner ... both can be bought in bags from the garden centres, and they’re reopening from tomorrow! 😃 

This should help explain

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=323

😊