Forum home Plants

Limp Hydrangea Problem!

Hi guys, new to gardening and not sure what to do. I have this hydrangea and it was fine and beautiful and for the last 3 days its just gone very limp and lifeless. It’s had some food but I’ve tried not to water it as the soil is very moist it’s got the perfect mix of morning sun and evening shade but I don’t know why it’s suddenly gone limp!

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    Is this Hydrangea recently planted? We have had some very low nighttime temperatures and it looks as if it has suffered from that. If you can use fleece or a light blanket at night that might help to revive it, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else on the forum has had this happen and could give you some hope for it.
    SW Scotland
  • Planted in the last few days I had it in its original pot, but the pot broke so I popped it in my flower bed 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Posts: 1,021
    Oh it’s really early for it to have been in full flower. It was probably forced into flowering in a really warm environment and the cold has shocked it. Give it some tlc and see what happens but it really should have been introduced to outside temps more slowly.
    Marne la vallée, basically just outside Paris 🇫🇷, but definitely Scottish at heart.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,661
    It's still early for hydrangeas to be in flower. Presumably bought around Easter time and was forced in a warm greenhouse. One of them many broken practices of the horticultural trade. If you can give it some fleece covering in the next couple of nights it'll help it as the low temperatures will damage the blooms and tender growth further @lilyhannah6 you'll have to write off those blooms and probably better to trim them off. Hopefully many more will follow in a few weeks. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Anyone got any ideas on how to heat it? I’ve got plastic bags, but no fleece or blankets or towels, I’ve got an old hot water bottle but will that burn the roots? I’ve got old clothes but not much else... 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    Yes  - one of those forced ones. Common problem at this time of year.
    It'll recover. A degree or two of frost won't kill it anyway.  :)
    As @amancalledgeorge says, you could take the flowers off to help it along - it's just a drain on resources. Unless you're further north than me, and having the minus 4 and minus 5 temps, and snow just now, you don't really need to worry too much about it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • @Fairygirl I’m south England, Brighton, it’s been pretty sunny, low at night is around 3 degrees 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    Not that cold then. It'll be fine :)
    Shady spot is best for it, if you haven't got it in one already. 
    As @amancalledgeorge said - it's a ridiculous practice that seems to have appeared. They force them for the Easter market usually. I think there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, that get chucked out, because they get kept indoors, and of course - they struggle afterwards.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • @Fairygirl ok, thank you for all your advice 😁