Forum home Problem solving

New Plum Tree

Hello.

I have just purchased a new young plum tree. A mirabelle de Nancy. It’s about 1.5m tall. 
2 days ago I put it in a large pot with good drainage and used general purpose compost. I have watered it well. 
I have noticed that some of the end leaves have started to die.  To be honest when I bought it I noticed some of the end leaves drooping but it did need a good water. 
Do I need to be concerned about anything?  I have attached a couple of photos. Thanks

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,677
    I don't think it's too much to worry about. However, I think it being grown from a container might be the challenging bit. They will need watering a lot. Especially in the warm months. Bucketful a day. Inconsistent or insufficient watering may lead to a  weak plant, leading to potential pests and diseases. 
  • I don't think it's too much to worry about. However, I think it being grown from a container might be the challenging bit. They will need watering a lot. Especially in the warm months. Bucketful a day. Inconsistent or insufficient watering may lead to a  weak plant, leading to potential pests and diseases. 
    Thanks for the reply. This picture shows that the ends of the branches are not looking great. I’ll water loads. Thanks 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496
    How big is “a large pot”?  Fruit trees struggle in a anything but a very large container, even if on a dwarfing rootstock. 

Do you know what sort of rootstock your tree is grafted on? 

Multi-purpose compost on its own is unsuitable for fruit trees ... they need loam-based John Innes No 3 with the addition of some MPC in a ratio of approx 4:1. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

•   the pot is 45 cm. what it came in was much smaller. I intend to plant later in year or next year as it’s for a present and will be at a different house/location by then. I’m sure being in a bigger pot only after 2 days wouldn’t do this? 

The rootstock says mirabelle rootstock. 

I will change the soil. But would that be the cause after only 2 days?  

When I bought it, it looked dry in the pot, and dropping at the ends of the branches a little. But when I got it home and soaked it, it seemed to revive. 

It has been quite windy and cold the last 2 days. But it’s hard to find shelter in this weather.  Not sure if that’s anything to do with it.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496
    MPC dries out quickly ... and if the tree is in a sunny spot, coupled with the windy weather which can really dry young leaves out, that may be the combination of factors causing it to be very thirsty. I’d plunge it in a container of water until it stops bubbling and then let it drain. That should help. 

Mirabelle grow to around 12ft  tall and the same across so it’ll need plenty of room in its final home. In the meantime some JI No 3 loambased compost as I described will certainly give it a better chance as it will remain moist for longer. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MPC dries out quickly ... and if the tree is in a sunny spot, coupled with the windy weather which can really dry young leaves out, that may be the combination of factors causing it to be very thirsty. I’d plunge it in a container of water until it stops bubbling and then let it drain. That should help. 

Mirabelle grow to around 12ft  tall and the same across so it’ll need plenty of room in its final home. In the meantime some JI No 3 loambased compost as I described will certainly give it a better chance as it will remain moist for longer. 
    Thanks for your help