Forum home Fruit & veg

Cucumber 🥒 is there enough?

MrsFlowerPotMrsFlowerPot OxfordshirePosts: 5
I’ve got 5 healthy Marketmore cucumber plants. I did have six but unfortunately one of them died.  Will I get a good crop from five plants?  I’m going to try grow them up a frame I made with an old broken Wilko archway.  I’ve never grown cucumbers before so any advice is welcome.   Also should they be planted out at the allotment when weather is much warmer June?  It is a very exposed open site.   Thank you. 🥒

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I grow Marketmore as well MrsFlowerpot but mine will be waiting a while as we have cold nights here and strong winds at the moment, they won't like either. I also grow over a similar arch.

I grow one each of Marketmore and Passandra and family and neighbours usually politely refuse any more toward the end of the season which is why I still have a gallon of soup in the freezer so I think you have enough.  I generally get around 15 to 20 per plant in a good year.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 736
    I dint grow them outside, am going to try this year. I’m waiting until early June to plant mine out here in Birmingham.
    Re crop - I only do two plants in the greenhouse and usually have more than enough - was probably picking 3 or 4 a week - that was without any feeding and I only water about once a week .
    Was only intending to do the same 2 outdoors.The first year I had planted 4 and was giving them away to anyone and everyone.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • MrsFlowerPotMrsFlowerPot OxfordshirePosts: 5
    Sounds like I’ve got more than enough plants and will be giving them away - thank you.   I’ll hang on and plant them out in June.   I can’t see how to reply individually to each of you I’m new to forum. Will work it out soon. Thanks again. 🥒
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    No problem @MrsFlowerPot if you want that cucumber soup recipe later just post on here, you will be inundated with good ideas!

If you want to name someone on here just type the @ sign and the first few letters of their name and a list will appear for you to choose from - at least that is the theory.

My daughter lives in Oxon too and her cukes are wrapped up warm as well.  Nice to have you on here  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • MrsFlowerPotMrsFlowerPot OxfordshirePosts: 5
    @Butterfly66 @herbaceous Thank you both.  Oh yes cucumber soup recipe sometime would be great - no hurry haven't got any cucumbers yet.     Your daughter will be experiencing this howling gale wind and cool breeze in the garden today as well.  We have decided not to take plants out of sheltered greenhouse today it's a damaging wind.  Hardening off will have to wait for just one more day.