Forum home Plants

Plant or Weed?

Samridout92Samridout92 Posts: 95
Cleared an area that was 3 inches deep in leaves and weeds. Since then these have appeared :) are these weeds or a plant please? 

• micearguersmicearguers Posts: 637
    edited May 2020
    Potentially oregano. It's a bit weedy in that it spreads very easily. You can check by brushing the leaves, see if they are aromatic.
  • Samridout92Samridout92 Posts: 95
    Potentially oregano. It's a bit weedy in that it spreads very easily. You can check by brushing the leaves, see if they are aromatic.
    Had a smell and it doesn’t really smell of anything? 

• micearguersmicearguers Posts: 637
    In that case I don't know. I said brush (and would expect that to give something if it is oregano), you could try crushing a fresh leaf in case you haven't. Otherwise the question is wide open again.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 954
    Does it have its own root system or is it suckers growing up up from the root of a nearby shrub or tree?
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
    Does it have its own root system or is it suckers growing up up from the root of a nearby shrub or tree?

I have taken a photo of one I pulled out and of the near buy shrub. There are some that are 1m + away from the shrub would they reach that far? 

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 954
    Lilac (Yours shrub in the picture) does send out suckers but they don’t look like lilac. Not sure what else to suggest.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
    Is the shrub just called lilac? I will keep them for the time being and assess what they do! Thank you all for the info :) 
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    I originally thought red champion, but seeing the roots it looks like lysimachia,
    Loraine3 said:
    I originally thought red champion, but seeing the roots it looks like lysimachia,
    My original guess was a Loosestrife so that would make sense!