Forum home Tools and techniques

Use for coffee grounds

I picked up some packets of used coffee grounds from a cafe (before Lockdown!) intending to use them somewhere in the garden and forgot about them. Clearing out (as we all have been) I found them. What would be the best use? I had an idea that coffee grounds could be put round roses but am not sure if this would be a good thing to do. Any other plants that would benefit?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited May 2020
    Some people say they deter slugs if spread thickly around the base of vulnerable plants, but the jury's out on that; other people find it no help.  You could just add them to the compost bin/heap, not in a mass though.  Either little by little, or mix them in.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,975
    Hi - I tried the "anti slug and snail" method, not sure if they work but they are sure good as a soil conditioner.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Last year, I acquired quite a lot of used coffee grounds. Some went in the compost heap and some was put around my Rose's as I had been told Rose's like coffee grounds. Afterwards, one of  the Rose's went crazy and the others were as normal.

I am not sure if it was the coffee grounds or if it was just the weather that the particular  Rose bush was liking. It would be good to try it again to work it out.

Any ideas about Rose's and coffee grounds would be good.

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 992
    If nothing else, they're useful for darkening your soil.  Light colours like clays reflect the sun's warmth, whereas darker ones absorb it and can provide that extra degree or two to stimulate seeds and plants.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,354
    I always put my used coffee grounds around acid loving plants,and my Rhododendron has got loads of buds,plus the worms love the coffee,so it has to be a good thing😊
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    Mixed with woodchip and water it makes a great hotbed
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    nick615 said:
    If nothing else, they're useful for darkening your soil.  Light colours like clays reflect the sun's warmth, whereas darker ones absorb it and can provide that extra degree or two to stimulate seeds and plants.
    What a great tip, makes a lot of sense.
  • Lipon70Lipon70 Bristol Avon and Somerset Posts: 5
    Hi coffee ground good for acidic plants