Forum home Plants

Wisteria advice

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
Hi, we have a pretty mature wisteria - I think it must be 15-20 years old at least.  It flowers well with most of the growth in one area. 

However, there is one mature stem which I've traced and it veers into a nearby 20' tall Bay Laurel tree and whilst 95% of the blooms are in one area, the other 5% are randomly popping out of the top, sporadically, of the Bay Laurel and my concern is that energy is being put into a branch that is basically 10'-15' away from the main framework.

I was going to remove that stem from the origin near the base during the Winter just gone - but decided against it for no real reason. 

However, now I can see it growing it looks wrong and more importantly, it doesn't look strong.   I guess removing it would account for 10% of the overall plant at most, definitely less than 10% of the foliage and flowers since most of it is just woody whips inside the bay hidden from sunlight. 

My question is this:  is it really worth waiting until next Winter to remove this, or better to remove now and promote extra energy and growth into the remaining framework during this growing season?
Sign In or Register to comment.