Forum home Plants

Delphinium growing

peteSpeteS Posts: 964
I've just ordered online half a dozen Delphinium Black Knight plants in 9cm pots, the price was right and the photo showed a nice colourful plant. Trouble is, I have never grown them before and have no idea about any problems, if any, which might arise when growing them. Has anyone any experience in that department. Many thanks.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited May 2020
    Molluscs are the only significant problem when growing them.  For that reason, I'd recommend that you grow them on in 6" pots until they are substantial plants before planting them out in the garden.   In subsequent years, you'll need to keep an eye out for the new shoots emerging in spring and look for slug/snail damage.  Other than that, they are pretty much trouble free plants once established.  They do need rich soil and plenty of sun so I would dig-in plenty of well-rotted manure or compost and fish, blood and bone fertiliser into the area they will be permanently occupying.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 391
    Spot on advice, I grow black Knight. For me it's one of more showey varieties, but fairly short lived. Just remember that it will need support. Put your support in before it starts to bend/flez. As delphiniums if not support will snap under the weight of their bloom
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 964
    Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately slugs and snails are public enemy number one in my yard, I've hundreds of 'em, so I'm going to have to be extra vigilant.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,682
    Mildew can be an issue so keep them well watered and give them space for air circulation.
    Rutland, England