Forum home Problem solving

Vine weevils on strawberry leaves

Hi I went on a bug hunt last night whilst sitting out I decided to see what was going on in my greenhouse with a torch and I'm glad I did!   I found adult  vine weevils on my strawberry plant leaves. We disposed of them 4 in total but my worry now is their larvae will be in my strawberry pot. I was going to tip it out and see but my strawberry are fruiting and I'm unsure if this will be the wrong time to do it. It's a very large pot to  so I would have to tip them out to see.  :confused:

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,668
    Others might disagree, but I would say leave for now.  The weevils will be embedded within the soil/compost, so you probably won't see much, and it would risk losing your fruit if you start messing around with the roots to find them.  I also wouldn't recommend using any Provado, or similar killer, on an edible.

You can buy nematodes, have you thought of using that, just as a preventative?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,011
    I agree to leave them. At this time of year any grubs will be ready to pupate so the damage will be done. Concentrate on killing any adults you can find to stop them laying more eggs.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • DebxDebx Posts: 14
    Others might disagree, but I would say leave for now.  The weevils will be embedded within the soil/compost, so you probably won't see much, and it would risk losing your fruit if you start messing around with the roots to find them.  I also wouldn't recommend using any Provado, or similar killer, on an edible.

You can buy nematodes, have you thought of using that, just as a preventative?
    Thank you.. I've ordered some nematodes found more last night!