Forum home Plants

Which plants are you still digging out of your borders 10 years later?

AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
Just read about the baby’s tears in one of the posts on the forum. 
This was good timing for me because I was intending to paint it into the cracks in my pavers soon. 
What plants do you wish had never darkened your door? 
What traps are waiting for unwary horticultural neophytes? 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    Everything I was digging out twenty years ago! Vinca. Pink geranium with the deep roots, geum urbanum that I thought would be a tame one, verbena bonarensis and pulmonaria - but I dont mind them
    Ground cover plants are thugs you think you can control. Avoid them. They don't know or  care when you want them to stop growing😡
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 790
    It's Japanese Anemone for me, OH my assistant gardener -digger outer -nick named it Japanese Enemy. I think it's September Charm. The white one I really liked died! 
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    Bilje said:
    It's Japanese Anemone for me, OH my assistant gardener -digger outer -nick named it Japanese Enemy. I think it's September Charm. The white one I really liked died! 
    Oh god I've just planted that!
  • AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
    Oh dear the cycle continues.... 
    edited May 2020
    B3 said:
    Everything I was digging out twenty years ago! Vinca. Pink geranium with the deep roots, geum urbanum that I thought would be a tame one, verbena bonarensis and pulmonaria - but I dont mind them
    Ground cover plants are thugs you think you can control. Avoid them. They don't know or  care when you want them to stop growing😡
    I really like geums, it doesn’t say ‘vigorous’ once anywhere in the description for the one I like. I thought that was the euphemism for ‘will throttle’ your garden. 
  • Hemerocallis- day lilies. They do nothing but take up space all year and then flower for about 5 minutes. They creep underground and for 20 years I have been pulling them out without any appreciable progress.
  • Auntie VAuntie V Posts: 20
    Alchemilla mollis! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    They're all right. Its geum urbanum an evil cousin with tiny yellow flowers that you have to watch out for. Leaves are a bit different once you get familiar with them
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Another vote for Day Lilies and Snowberry.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Gah! I like Alchemilla Mollis too! 
    Nowhere in the RHS entry does it say ‘vigorous’ or ‘prolific seeder’. Do I add ‘generally pest & disease free’ to my list of cautionary words?