Forum home Plants

Hosta Appreciation Corner

• owd potterowd potter Posts: 342
    @Dovefromabove, yes. Stunning.
    @Auntie V, what is that one? also gorgeous colour and form.  
  • Auntie VAuntie V Posts: 10
    @Dovefromabove, that would be brilliant,! Mine is just starting to get going, new this year. 
    @owd potter wish I knew! Haha, another cheapy but I love the colour
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 577
    Beautiful, Dovefromabove, but I think the Med climate is not for these plants.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 739
    @Dovefromabove did you create this thread just for @Hostafan1 🤣🤣 can't wait to take a picture tomorrow now. I only know a couple of my hostas names as most are freebies with no Provence. I do love them with the rich green foliage.

• RussellTRussellT Posts: 12
    I am trying hostas in containers this year using copper tape and.garlic spray as recommended by Sienna Hostas as featured on GW. Does anyone have experience on the efficacy or otherwise of copper tape. ?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    RussellT said:
    I am trying hostas in containers this year using copper tape and.garlic spray as recommended by Sienna Hostas as featured on GW. Does anyone have experience on the efficacy or otherwise of copper tape. ?
    I've never used it as all mine are in the ground  . I've never used garlic spray either
    Devon.
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 100
    We put a hosta in the ground once. The next day we couldn't tell exactly where we'd planted it 😞. Pots moved indoors every night are the only way our hostas survive.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I've got about 1,500 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,578
    RussellT said:
    I’ve used copper tape on some containers of and have found it does help, particularly with plastic and other smooth non porous containers. The slugs and snails seem not to bother so much with the larger hostas in large unsealed terracotta pots. Another slug deterrent is to top the pots with horticultural grit. 

If you notice you’re getting some mollusc damage, move the pots apart at night so that plants’ leaves  aren’t touching and making ‘bridges’ for the marauders to travel more easily from plant to plant. 

I also have some large Blue Angel hostas in a border ... by the end of the summer they’re usually showing quite a bit of snail damage ... this year I’ve bought some organic slug/snail repellent and will see if it has any effect. 

Good luck with yours 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 739
    Think I must Han army of hedgehogs as we never get any slug damage at all, we get sun scorching on some but hopefully our Paulownia will throw my shade this year to stop that