Forum home Plants

Erigeron

harmonyharmony Posts: 398
Hi all, can someone advise me how to care for this young Erigeron grown in a pot.
I read recently that they are best cut back in the autumn which I didn't do so now there's a lot of new green growth and older stems that are starting to sprawl which I like so is it ok to leave ?. Also my untrained eye cannot tell if the close up pic are new buds or old flowers going to seed, I don't want to dead head if they are the latter. I've not had this plant before so would welcome any advice. Thank You.
PS I love this plant ...

• harmonyharmony Posts: 398
    Sorry forgot pics 😕
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    I would chop back so you leave the new green growth in the centre.
    It won't take too long before it flowers again.
    Love this as a filler in my garden and pots but it does tend to seed around a bit!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 306
    Could be buds I have one in a pot and I thought the same but a few days later they developed into flowers. Mine is just starting to flower nicely now. I did the same as you in that I didn’t cut it back so I have just delicately snipped off any dead bits and I’m going to leave it till autumn to give it a haircut. I think they’re really pretty and I’d like it to self seed around the garden!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,394
    I've just done the same, it didn't really die back over the winter and it's got masses of new growth already.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
    harmony said:
    Hi all, can someone advise me how to care for this young Erigeron grown in a pot.
    I read recently that they are best cut back in the autumn which I didn't do so now there's a lot of new green growth and older stems that are starting to sprawl which I like so is it ok to leave ?. Also my untrained eye cannot tell if the close up pic are new buds or old flowers going to seed, I don't want to dead head if they are the latter. I've not had this plant before so would welcome any advice. Thank You.
    PS I love this plant ...

When I said the latter I got it wrong, ment to say I don't want to snip off the new buds..
    I agree mind didn't die back either, I've 2 in pots and I'm also hoping it will self seed. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, thinking about it they must be new buds cos there's loads and if they had already flowered I surely would have noticed ....

• Matt_Matt_ Posts: 48
    Those are new flowers with their little pink petals angled forwards. Will be on show in a couple of days, mine all started opening up en masse yesterday.

Matt_ said:
    Those are new flowers with their little pink petals angled forwards. Will be on show in a couple of days, mine all started opening up en masse yesterday.

That is beautiful. I think I will put mine in the ground next year, I think it would look good with my calendula and they can hopefully self seed together..