Forum home The potting shed

Is a Potting Shed Worthwhile ?

May seem like a crazy question but is a potting shed really worth having ?  I am an amateur gardener, have done veg for a few years but more like a quick flurry of seeds in may and that's it but trying to learn and expand.

Would a potting shed help me all year round, do you find it worth it, do you grow all your seeds in there ?  any recommendations for a good one on a tight budget ?

Thanks All, 

• B3B3 Posts: 13,125
    I haven't got one, but I think people use them mostly for sowing seeds , pricking out and keeping tools and pots. The germinated seeds would need somewhere with more light to grow
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,818
    edited 9 May
    I inherited a potting shed with this house. My first. A complete waste of time, in my opinion. Just a place to put junk that won’t go anywhere else.

Better by far to get a greenhouse and, if you need to do potting, put up a little picnic table inside it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 323
    A little greenhouse is a great investment and you could always have a "tool" corner in it.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,233
    May seem like a crazy question but is a potting shed really worth having ?  I am an amateur gardener, have done veg for a few years but more like a quick flurry of seeds in may and that's it but trying to learn and expand.

Would a potting shed help me all year round, do you find it worth it, do you grow all your seeds in there ?  any recommendations for a good one on a tight budget ?

Thanks All, 
    It depends on the kind of gardening you are doing and want to do, somits a question of what do you want tondonwith the new building, and that will help determine whether you want a shed, summerhouse, potting shed or greenhouse.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,429
    A greenhouse I would say is essential, but thn thats me, some people manage without, I do have a potting shed, which houses, er pots, plant food, seed trays, my tumble dryer,jam jars, stuff that look horrible in a greenhouse, (got 3 of them) and a tool shed,  (which is really a summerhouse, sectioned off)and a bike/mower shed in the veg plot, with the tools, (and mowers)
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,467
    I think you can actually get a combination Shed/GH - have you looked at various suppliers ?
    If it is correctly orientated, it could be more useful than just a shed.  Other than that, I'd agree with the above - a GH is much more fun if you don't have room for both :)  
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,101
    I have a potting shed. I hide in it when it rains. It is nice to have an organised space for tools pots etc. I do like potting sessions and starting seeds in there.

To be honest though, would swap for a greenhouse or even some decent cold frames. So I would vote it as nice, but rate other things as more essential.
  • I would love one.  And a green house! Or perhaps both together in one.  I have the issue of dirt coming in the house constantly as I am doing my starts.  And also my picnic table and part of my side area is always a mess because of my potting.  I vote yes! 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,250
    Depends on how you feel about sharing your space with large spiders.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,429
    Yes, you can get greenhouse one end shed the other perfect.