Forum home Plants

Plant identification - complete novice gardener

Hi all, I recently moved into a house with some lovely shrubs which haven't been well loved. As I've not had a garden before I'm completely lost as to what's a weed and what isn't, and what I should keep or get rid of. I've added some pictures, any help or advice would be much appreciated!

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    1)  Isn't that honeysuckle?
    2) Choisya
    3) Centranthus rubra

feel I should know 4 but still enlarging my plant skills!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Liz.S.Liz.S. Posts: 55
    1. Honeysuckle
    2. Choysia
    3. Valerian
    4. Pieris?
    5. Hebe?
    6. Honeysuckle
    "Life returns. Life prevails. Resistance is futile" Rusty the dalek
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    OK I think 4 is schefflera?  Last one is not really clear.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,860
    1.  Honeysuckle - Lonicera

2. choisya ternata 

3. Centranthus ruber ... I like it but some folk don’t. 

4 ?

5 ?

6. Honeysuckle again. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited May 2020
    No 6  The big leaved plant with the reddish stem in the middle of the honeysuckle is a new shoot of honeysuckle. It has big leaves cos it’s closer to the camera 😉 

Like this one in my garden

It’s a bit shady in that corner. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Megan-smithMegan-smith Posts: 6
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for all the comments! So helpful...I did wonder if 6 was the same plant as 1 but it seems to be crawling everywhere and the leaves looked a bit different...hopefully this is a better photo:

the bottom of the garden looks like this:

I was thinking I should go a bit mad with some pruning to get it all under control, but assume I should wait until they've stopped flowering?
    I think it all looks gorgeous ... really lush ... just how it should look in May. 😊 

• tui34tui34 Posts: 3,437
    So do I - Dovefromabove.  I love a willy nilly garden!!  I have Valerian growing in a big concrete pipe that the drainlayers left when they were relaying new drains in the road.  I put in a grassy thing and now I have Valerian growing.  I believe you can make tea from the root - and that it has sedative qualities!!  I used to buy Valerian root from the herb lady at the market and she brought the bag out from under the counter!!  Quite a pungent smell but a pinch with lemon verbena, nettles (dried), melissa and dried lavender flowers is a nice relaxing infusion in the evening to help sleep!!  And the question is ......is this the Valerian that I could use?
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

edited May 2020
    Don’t think so @tuikowhai34 ...I think that’s Valerian officinalis ..., the valerian in this thread is now called Centrathus ruber ... different plant. 

• tui34tui34 Posts: 3,437
    Thank you, Dovefromabove - I'll check out that site later.  Bonne soirée!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.