Forum home Problem solving

Those darn weeds

Hello all

I'm after some advice please. 

I've recently started working on my garden and there is A large section which has been covered with gravel. Unfortunately the weeds have completely taken over, in places forcing their way through the membrane. At this stage should I simply remove the gravel, treat the soil and replace with a better quality membrane? I'm struggling to keep on top of the weed growth at the moment so I'm unsure whether to continue fighting or just start again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks 

• beth2922beth2922 Posts: 4

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482
    Welcome to the Forum.
    I'd remove the membrane and dig the gravel into the garden. Get hold of some well rotted manure ,when you can, and start again. 
    The myth about membrane / gravel stopping weeds needs to quashed once and for all,  ;)
    Devon.
  • beth2922beth2922 Posts: 4
    Hostafan1 said:
    Welcome to the Forum.
    I'd remove the membrane and dig the gravel into the garden. Get hold of some well rotted manure ,when you can, and start again. 
    The myth about membrane / gravel stopping weeds needs to quashed once and for all,  ;)
    Hi thanks for the reply

I'm a bit thick so please bear with me...so the membrane doesn't actually do anything?! Mind = blown. So once I've removed it I should just place the gravel straight on top of the soil? 
    well, yes and no. and you're NOT thick, lol 
    The theory is the membrane forms a barrier between the soil and the air,stopping weeds coming up,  the gravel holds it in place and make it look less horrible. 
    But,and it's a big but, as you've found, IT DOESN'T WORK lol
    Most of the weeds you're removing will be from seed blown in , so the membrane is doing nothing to stop them , and , as you've also found, the more persistent perennial weeds under the membrane can still force themselves through.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,609
    I don’t like to contradict you @Hostafan1 but I can’t see any point in manuring  the ground just to put down fresh membrane and clippings, that could encourage the weeds to grow even stronger, couldn’t it? 

We did our drive like that and it’s still weed free, from 2013.  I think we used a double layer of membrane and the only weeds that grow are just on the top and not thought the membrane so easily pulled out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Sorry @Lyn, when I said " remove the membrane" I meant that to be permanent, not replace it afterwards, lol 
    Sorry for being too thick to make myself clear. lol
    Devon.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Hostafan1 said:
    Welcome to the Forum.

Hear hear.  Ditto most of the wonder products promoted as "low maintenance".  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,609
    Ok , it’s just me then.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Ok , it’s just me then.
    Absolutely not. I should have made it clearer. 
    Mea culpa
    Devon.
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    beth2922 said:
    Hello all

I'm after some advice please. 

I've recently started working on my garden and there is A large section which has been covered with gravel. Unfortunately the weeds have completely taken over, in places forcing their way through the membrane. At this stage should I simply remove the gravel, treat the soil and replace with a better quality membrane? I'm struggling to keep on top of the weed growth at the moment so I'm unsure whether to continue fighting or just start again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks 
    Depends on what you want to do with the area.  What is it you are looking to do?