Forum home Plants

Mature Rowan tree maintenance

steve390steve390 Posts: 24
Hi,

I have just received and planted a 9ft mature rowan tree from container as shown in the photograph below. I'm expecting the tree to take a few years to grow significantly but, in the meantime, I would welcome advice on how to maintain it in the first few months. I watered the rootball thoroughly and it is planted in a hole that was filled with compost and fertiliser. I've placed bark around the base to keep the weeds back. The stalk has been tied loosely to a bamboo stake to keep it upright and the area is reasonably sheltered from wind but still gets plenty of sun. Any advice, if any, would be welcome! Thanks!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Rowans grow well in next to no soil, they don’t need feeding,  anything will do, they need no maintenance. 
    There are some lovely ones growing on the Moors here, out of cracks in the rocks. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• steve390steve390 Posts: 24
    Thanks Lyn! That is good to know.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    How far is it from the walls/fences?  I think it might tend to lean away from the walls looking for light, so might need a stouter stake to keep it upright.  
  • steve390steve390 Posts: 24
    Good point. It's about 1.5m from the walls so I'll keep an eye on it and change the stake if it is leaning a bit too much.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    They need nothing, as @Lyn says. Keep it well watered though, as it's a large specimen.
    A good bucket of water every few days.

Or places like this @Lyn

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...