Forum home Plants

ID help + trimming advice please

safcaphsafcaph Posts: 47
I have this all along a side fence (pretty sure it originates next door).  Any idea what it is - and mainly advice on trimming / cutting back (there is some pretty sturdy stems / wood behind the leaves)

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    It’s  just Ivy, I wouldn’t cut it back now it’s probably got a few birds nests in there, they love it. 
    If it annoys you too much, I think you can take it back in the winter, it’s not too difficult to dig out from the roots them just pull it off your fence, but don’t do it now, please. 
    Remember it will also shelter the birds from the cold wet winter weather.
    Personally, I love an ivy hedge. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,423
    It's ivy, Hedera helix. There are lots of variegated ones so I couldn't say which yours is. It is tough so you can cut it back as hard as you like, but might look a mess untl it puts on new leaves if you go back to the wood.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • safcaphsafcaph Posts: 47
    Lyn said:
    It’s  just Ivy, I wouldn’t cut it back now it’s probably got a few birds nests in there, they love it. 
    If it annoys you too much, I think you can take it back in the winter, it’s not too difficult to dig out from the roots them just pull it off your fence, but don’t do it now, please. 
    Remember it will also shelter the birds from the cold wet winter weather.
    Personally, I love an ivy hedge. 
    Great thanks - I love it too, just looking a bit unkempt so checking best options.  And indeed there has been at least one nest in there recently (with a rather unpleasant outcome due to the huge magpies that live a few doors (trees) down  :'(