Forum home Plants

Help! Gerbera leaves turning white and dying

jessicahuftonjessicahufton Posts: 12
edited May 2020 in Plants
So a couple of weeks ago, I planted 3 gerbera plants in my new flower bed. As soon as I planted them, the white one began to look a little bit off as the petals started "sagging" and turning brown. Not long after I noticed a couple of the leaves turning white. I thought it perhaps just didn't take too well to be replanted so thought I would just leave it to see if it perked up. I have now noticed my red gerbera is displaying the same signs, discoloured petals and white leaves. Could it be sunscorch or a fungus? What should I do next? Thanks!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,848
    edited May 2020
    Gerberas are tender plants so I would have thought it is too early for them to be outside ... I suspect the plants may be suffering from the low nighttime temperatures, even frost, that we’ve experienced over the UK just recently. They will also not be used to the bright sunshine  we’ve had on some days and this will also have damaged them. 

I would repot them so that you can put them indoors each night and into a sheltered spot during the day and keep doing this until at least the beginning of June

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Oh dear... As you can tell I'm pretty new to this 🤦🏻‍♀️is there anything I can do to help them? Or is it a matter of pruning them and leaving them to it? 
    Smile .., I just added another sentence to my post above that should help. 

Didn’t realise you’d be awake ... the world seems asleep here ... I shall have to nudge the coffee provider 😉 ☕️ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Amazing I'll do that this afternoon. Thanks a lot!

And here's me onto my second cup... 
    I’m usually on my second by now .... I’ve had a lie in 🛌
     I’ve requested a large one ☕️ 
    I need to catch up 😎