Forum home Plants

Papaver somniferum seeds

peteSpeteS Posts: 964
Has anyone tried to grow these annuals in a pot, either individually in a medium sized pot, or 3 or 4 in a larger pot, then placed in the border, pot and all, when established.  All the information tells you to sow the seeds directly on the soil where they are to grow, but if I were to do that they would be ravaged by the sheer number of slugs and snails I have, not to mention the shade caused by rapidly growing perennials. Many thanks.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,408
    You could give it a try. They have a tap root so don't transplant well, but if you sowed direct into fairly deep pots it might work. Maybe sow like veggies, more seed than you need then thin out to a few per big pot.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 964
    I was thinking of cutting the bottom off the pots, so when they are big enough they can be transferred into position in the pots, and the roots could then have an unhindered downward travel into the soil.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,411
    I haven't done it with this plant but generally, if you wait til the roots have filled the pot enough to hold together as a root ball, you can plant without the pot which means less watering required for the season

In the sticks near Peterborough