Forum home Plants

Encourage acanthus mollis to flower

I bought an acanthus mollis about 5 years ago but up till now it has not flowered later in the summer. It is increasing in size and looks healthy. It grows in semi shade in improved light soil but I have never seen any flowers. Is there anything I can do now to help it flower later?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,481
    Hello Angus   :)
    I think the problem might be that as far as l know, they like growing in poor soil, and possibly yours is just too good.
    I did come across this old thread which might be of some help, and possibly others may have more current advice. 

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/386255/trouble-with-acanthus
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,021
    They flower profusely in the poorest of soils and in full sun.  I've seen them growing out of a bit of grit at the base of walls and with huge flower stems.

However, give them decent soil or a bit of feed or shade and they just produce lush green foliage and they'll spread.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    You mentioned 'improved' soil, perhaps the soil is too rich, giving lush leaves and no flowers?