Forum home Fruit & veg

Beans in plastic greenhouse

2»

• ashers23281ashers23281 Posts: 7
    edited May 2020
    New poster here.

Was just going to ask the same question.

I have runner beans that are ready to plant outside and was planning on doing this today, however I've just seen that it's going to be 1c on Sunday night.

Am I best to leave them for another week?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,932
    I wouldn’t risk it. I only sowed mine last weekend ... the seedlings are just appearing for the first time this morning 🌱 🌱 🌱 

Even if the frost doesn’t kill them the shock can put them back and stop them growing for a couple of weeks so it’s really not worth it. Mine won’t go out until the end of the month. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Even if the frost doesn’t kill them the shock can put them back and stop them growing for a couple of weeks so it’s really not worth it. Mine won’t go out until the end of the month. 
    My only concern is that they may become too leggy if not planted soon.

• nick615nick615 Posts: 1,481
    ashers23281 the answer depends on where you are.  Here in mild W Cork mine have been out for nearly a fortnight.
  • The answer depends where you are isn't necessarily true.
    Location is of far more importance - for example I grow at a height of 1200ft  far from mild! & mine have been out for well over a month and are about to flower. (See runner beans in potting shed)
    What I mean by location isn't your postcode but rather location or situation you choose to grow.
    For example mine are positioned on a South facing wall which throughout the day absorbs heat and releases during the night.
    I also take great care to cover the plants on chilly nights to protect from frost. This is achieved with the use of hay around the base of the plants, fixing and unrolling a large fleece over the beans when necessary.
    Although unorthodox this system works for me.
    Regards Chris.