Forum home Plants

How old is too old?

anniedtanniedt Posts: 85
Whilst getting ready for spring planting etc, I found some bottles of 'Tumbleweed' and such like in the shed.  I have no idea when they were bought but judging from the packaging, not in the recent past.  Should I just put them in the 'take to the tip' pile, or do a test first to see if they are still usable?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    The worst that can happen is that, nothing happens. If you need tumbleweed, give it a go. You've got nothing to lose.
    Devon.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,336
    Agree with Hosta but, if they're plastic bottles, do take care when opening them. Plastic can become extremely brittle afte a couple of years - especially if it's been exposed to UV and / or extremes of hot and cold. I've always found that any bottles with childproof caps  require extra force to open them which doesn't help.

Rubber gloves and standing the bottles in a tray for opening should deal with any mishaps.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,434
    If they contain chemicals that have been withdrawn, there would have been a date after which they aren't supposed to be used. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=820
    But who's to know?
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • anniedtanniedt Posts: 85
    Thank you all for your advice.  I did make up a solution of Tumbleweed and tried it out on a very small area.  Result?  No more greenfly!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,711
    Odd..Tumbleweed kills weeds not insects.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,421
    Odd..Tumbleweed kills weeds not insects.
    that's what it's supposed to do but there have been suggestions that it has a side effect of destroying the ecosystem by harming insects

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • anniedtanniedt Posts: 85
    Thank you all for your comments and apologies Silver Surfer, I should have said Tumblebug.  The photo shows the three I found in my shed.  Are any of them harmful to more than just pests like greenfly, whitefly etc?