Forum home Plants

Evergreen climber?

ThebigeasyThebigeasy Posts: 190
Looking for some evergreen climbers to grow on some those fan trellis you get. Ideally a winter bloomer if possible and one that will be quite happy to stay at the size of the trellis. Thanks. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    you'll be lucky to find something which will grow to exactly the size of your trellis then just stop.
    Devon.
  • ThebigeasyThebigeasy Posts: 190
    Hostafan1 said:
    you'll be lucky to find something which will grow to exactly the size of your trellis then just stop.
    Sorry one that is easily kept that size by pruning, preferably one that nly needs pruned once or twice a year 
    Treeface said:
    I like the look of those, will have a looks see if I can pick some up. 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,927
    edited May 2020
    I guess you could have two and combine them for winter and spring flowering. Both are group one and neither need cutting back.

• SuesynSuesyn Posts: 660

This is my Avalanche in full bloom, it has been in about 4 years and is next to a pyracantha which flowers just after the clematis. Avalanche has got a bit over exuberant and when the flowers have finished I will give it a haircut,  the foliage tends to look a bit scruffy when it has flowered . I believe the growth information was 1m wide x 2m tall and it has  certainly exceeded that. It is a great plant for early spring and I love it.
    Suesyn said:

This is my Avalanche in full bloom, it has been in about 4 years and is next to a pyracantha which flowers just after the clematis. Avalanche has got a bit over exuberant and when the flowers have finished I will give it a haircut,  the foliage tends to look a bit scruffy when it has flowered . I believe the growth information was 1m wide x 2m tall and it has  certainly exceeded that. It is a great plant for early spring and I love it.
    I do like that, looks full and thick. 
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    I do like that, looks full and thick. 
    That's how I'm often described!
    We've got a miniature version, 'Pixie' we think; it's a dear little thing. If the bigger xcartmannii are anything like our littl'un they need a sheltered site and can take a while to get established, but well worth it. You might want to check out 'Kimiko' (by Raymond Evison) too which claims to grow to 6ft
  • AmphibiosAmphibios Posts: 158
    Hi all apologies to hijack the thread but I’ve fallen in love with the lansdowne gem @Fire
    I had no idea some clematis bloom in winter. 
    My question is about this green fence at the end of my garden. 
    I was going to grow Jasminoides Trachelospernum because of the autumn red colour. 
    However I’d also like to grow the lansdowne gem there and they should both keep the green chain link fence covered. 

The chain link fence gets full sun but for both climbers they also need to be sheltered. 
    My concern is that because it’s chain they will get battered by wind. There is a service corridor behind the chain fence and directly in front of the massive fence. 
    Is my fear justified and could I do anything to improve growing conditions for both climbers? 
    Many Thanks

A x 
  • FireFire Posts: 18,927
    @Amphibios  I think these are good, complex questions, worthy of their own thread.