Forum home Problem solving

Planting a new Common Laurel Hedge - help!

Hi all. After some guidance on how to plant a new common laurel hedge.
I have bought 92 new laurel hedge plants (in 2litre pots about 30cm tall).
I have a long gap between my garden and a field of approx 46m. I want a good thick hedge for look and as a windbreak, especially at the bottom as there is a bank on the other side into the field. A few people have said to plant the plants with a gap of 18inches apart (2 plants per meter).
Its a new build house in the country, the lawn isn’t sown out yet so all I need to do is plant straight into the soil. The plants cost £250 so I want to make sure I plant them correctly!
Few questions: sorry for all the questions but I’ve never done this before !!

1. Is planting 18 inches apart ok to get a good thick hedge from the ground up? That’s 2plants per meter.
2. Fertilizer - do I need to put some fertilizer into the hole I dig for each plant? Just to give them a head start. I see a few forums mention fertilizer in the holes when planting, but what type / name of fertilizer is best? Or do you need fertilizer? Scared of over fertilizing and killing them.
3. Once planted, do I need to fertilize them? How often? What type of fertilizer? 
4. Do I need to put mulch around them once planted?
5. Do they need pruned and when / how do you prune? I’ve been told to prune them to promote a good thick hedge and have no gaps at the bottom.

many thanks,
Phil

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,833
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • @ Fairygirl, perfect thank you so much!
    Time to start digging and planting! 😃
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,833
    No probs @Philsmyth34 - I've never seen so many queries about laurel as I've seen this spring, so it's easier just to direct folk to that thread!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Fairygirl said:
    No probs @Philsmyth34 - I've never seen so many queries about laurel as I've seen this spring, so it's easier just to direct folk to that thread!
    Im thinking someone in the property development world has been encouraging people to bung in laurel as part of a quick turnaround strategy.