Forum home Plants

italian arum

Danielm2323Danielm2323 Posts: 65
Is this plant poisonous? 

Posts

  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709

    Most animals will leave it alone.

    Quote wiki...."Leaves, fruits and rhizomes contain compounds that make them poisonous. Notably, leaves are rich in oxalic acid; other active principles are present in other parts. The ingestion of berries, which are showy and red, can be fatal for babies and young children."
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Danielm2323Danielm2323 Posts: 65
    So the leaves are ok if I brushed against them? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,836
    Yes ... as a child I used to pick them and ‘unwrap’ the flower spathe to see how many flies it had caught. 
    I knew it was poisonous so made sure not to lick my fingers and always washed my hands when I went indoors ... and also made sure younger children didn’t touch them. 😊 

    Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.





Sign In or Register to comment.