Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea reverting.

Hi, I bought a Hydrangea Glamrock two years ago,but the following year it was a totally different plant, the leaves are now very small and the flower heads are also very small and dark pink it bares no resemblance at all to the original plant, why would this plant revert and why so quickly?

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    It's very early for Hydrangeas to flower, but when they do, the flower heads are tiny to begin with, growing into a mop as the season progresses. If the plant looks healthy I wouldn't worry about it.
    SW Scotland
  • If you read my question ,the plant reverted( last year )and so it did not resemble the original plant at all last year,the flowers were tiny and a dull dark pink,no other colours,  so far this year the leaves are just as they were last year which is not as the original so it has reverted to one of the plants it was bred from ,but why is what I need to know.regards.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,194
    How has it been cared for? Where is it planted, and in what soil? What food has it had?

Many hydrangeas are forced so that they can be sold around Easter time. Their subsequent performance is dependant on the care they get afterwards. Lack of moisture and nutrients stresses them, so they do what they can to preserve themselves, hence a poor display. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Hydrangeas aren't grafted (apart from those trained to a tree form) so can't really revert.  This cultivar is particularly sensitive to growing conditions and produces a very wide range of colours depending on the pH of the soil.  This old (2014) thread also mentions that several folk have had trouble growing them:
    I got one as part of an offer many years ago.  It seemed to do ok the first year but didn't seem to like something about where it was planted and died after struggling-on and looking tatty for a couple of years.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    I remember that discussion @BobTheGardener
    New varieties are often poor, and you wonder if it's just another cash cow.
    That's what happens when they keep trying to re invent the wheel eh?  ;)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,464
    Think it’s the rush to get them out and make some money out of them ... new plants cost a lot to develop.  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes I can understand this, it has had a good dose of horse manure and some chicken manure pellets so we will see if it improves,but I dought it.
    Is it in the ground?