Forum home Plants

Jasmine Stephanense - what’s wrong with it?

Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
I bought this as a plug plant two years ago. It grew a fair amount last year however I’ve noticed that this year the leaves are a lighter colour. Is this indicative of a problem? 

Until a month ago it was in a pot but I’ve planted it in the ground since and its been well watered. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Many thanks 

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose Posts: 574
    Have you fed it? A dressing of an all round fertiliser such as Blood, Fish and Bone, Gromore or Chicken Pellets will allow the plant to take up food required for it's health.
    I think I would cut the top growth back by about a third at least to allow the plant to concentrate putting most effort into getting a good root system first before trying to produce flowers
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,645
    ...there's nothing wrong with your Jasmine... this is normal for this plant early season... the foliage will turn a soft green... you may also find it doesn't flower for a year or two.. mine didn't for 2 seasons .... but it's quite beautiful when it does, but the season is not long and it does not repeat bloom..

.. a lovely Jasmine, but patience needed...
    East Anglia, England
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    Thank you both for your comments. I can feed it and also give it a prune, especially if it is unlikely to flower this year. 

My mother has a white Jasmine which is about 15 years old, that grows a lot each year and needs a hard prune each year otherwise I think it’d be huge. In comparison what can I expect from a mature jasmine Stephanense? 

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,645
    ...there's really no need to prune it, you just need to let it grow and do its own thing... when established it's a lovely soft foliaged plant that needs to twine around a support... I fear your wooden trellis there will be eaten up and demolished before too long..  after about 3 years it flowers profusely and is a delightful twiner, whether in bloom or not..  it should be given its head to just grow... and grow..  
    East Anglia, England
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    @Marlorena thank you. Yes as soon as the trellis was up I realised it would probably be more suited for things like sweet peas.