Forum home Plants

Bluebells

moandtomoandto Posts: 15
Hi everyone hope you are all well my query is my neighbour is going to clear their front and pave, they have bluebells growing which they don't want will it be ok to dig up when finished flowering and transplant, I would like to plant them under an acer and a small rhododendron. Would appreciate all advice. Thank you

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Bluebells are pretty hard to get rid of so I expect they Would be ok.
    Spanish bluebells are frowned on though.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    I'm trying to get rid of bluebells under my acer :)
    Initially there were a few, which was ok. But then they just spread and spread so I've got a patch some 20ft wide and about 6ft deep. sure they look great for about 10 days then it's 50 weeks of dead foliage.
    I can't dig them out either because of the roots of my acer.
    Just something to consider..

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Why does your foliage stay for 50 weeks, we strim ours down once it’s died down which is about the end of May to mid June,  all gone.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Why does your foliage stay for 50 weeks, we strim ours down once it’s died down which is about the end of May to mid June,  all gone.
    Because I don't strim the leaves :) - but it's a good idea.

I do eventually rake up the leaves when they're finally done, but it just seems a waste of space. They've just finished flowering, so I'm going to try and weaken them by pulling out all the leaves - should be a fun job..

Billericay - Essex

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited May 2020
    Pete.8 said:

They've just finished flowering, so I'm going to try and weaken them by pulling out all the leaves - should be a fun job..
    I love the native bluebells but had some where I did not want them.
    Every year I picked every single leaf before they flowered..year after year after year.
    It didn't even seem to weaken them.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Pete.8 said:

They've just finished flowering, so I'm going to try and weaken them by pulling out all the leaves - should be a fun job..
    I love the native bluebells but had some where I did not want them.
    Every year I picked every single leaf before they flowered..year after year after year.
    It didn't even seem to weaken them.
    Thanks for the heads-up SS.
    I was thinking that after flowering they'll be at their weakest, then removing all the leaves would weaken them further - or maybe not.

I'll try with some glyphosphate and a drop of Fairy to make it stick - I know it may not work either, but one way or another....

Billericay - Essex